Are considering installing Solar Panels at your Home and would like to know just how much it might cost? Solar Panel Installation prices range from R70000 for a small home installation to R350 000 for an installation for a large home. Backup power systems prices without the solar panels that allow for solar panels to be added at a later stage start from R40000 installed. Let’s have a look at:
- Solar Panel Prices by Brand
- Typical Solar Battery Prices and Inverter Prices by Brand
- Ready to Install Residential Backup Power Kits Without Solar Panels
- Ready to Install Residential Solar Power Kit Prices
- Typical Prices of Installed Solar Systems
- Factors Influencing the Solar Panel Prices
- How to Save Money on Your Solar Installations
- Lower the Price of Your Solar Installation By Choosing the Right Solar System
Do you want a personalized Solar Panel Quotation? Contact Local Pros today!
Solar Panel Prices by Brand
Here are solar panel prices for some of the most commonly used solar panels Brands in South Africa. These solar panels are highly durable all come with a 20 or 25-year warranty for both breakage and performance degradation.
|Longi Solar 275w – 610w
|From R2200 – R4500
|JA Solar 275w – 600w
|From R2000 – R5000
|Trina Solar 275 – 670w
|From R2100 – R5200
|Jinko Solar Panels 275 – 575w
|From R2000 – R4000
|Canadian Solar Solar Panels 270 – 600w
|From R2000 – R5000
Typical Solar Battery Prices and Inverter Prices
Here are some prices for high quality solar inverters and batteries used in south africa. Normally all high quality inverter com with a 10 – 20 year warranty while high quality lithium-iron batteries normally come with a with a 10 year warranty.
|Shoto 2.4 kWh Lithium Iron Battery
|Shoto 4.8kWh Lithium Iron Battery
|Solar MD 3.7 kWh Lithium Iron Battery
|Solar MD 7.4 kWh Lithium Iron Battery
|Freedom Won 10/8 10kWh Lithium Iron Battery
|Freedom Won 5/4 10kWh Lithium Iron Battery
|Deye 5kWh Solar Inverter 48v / 230v
|Deye 8kWh Solar Inverter 48v / 230v
|Deye 12kWh Inverter 48v / 230v/400v
|Deye 16kWh Inverter 48v / 230v/400v
Ready to Install Residential Backup Power Kits Without Solar Panels
These kits come with Standard Mounting brackets and a cabling kit included for a standard Home installation and include all the standard AC/DC switch gear required. Batteries and Inverters normally have a 10-year warranty. These kits do not include solar panels but are they are solar panel ready.
|3.5kw All-In-One System Solar Panel Ready 5kWh Lithium Battery
|5kw All-In-One System Solar Panel Ready 5kWh Lithium Battery
|5kw All-In-One System Solar Panel Ready 10kWh Lithium Battery
Ready to Install Residential Solar Power Kit Prices
These kits come with Standard Mounting brackets and a cabling kit included for a standard Home installation and include all the standard AC/DC switch gear required. Batteries and Inverters normally have a 10-year warranty while solar panels have a 20-year warranty.
|5kw All-In-One System Solar 5kWh Lithium Battery and 4 x 550w Solar Panels (2.2kw total power charge)
|5kw All-In-One System Solar 5kWh Lithium Battery and 8 x 550w Solar Panels (4.4kw total power charge)
|8kw All-In-One System Solar 10kWh Lithium Battery and 12 x 550w Solar Panels (6.6kw total power charge)
|12kw All-In-One System Solar 16kWh Lithium Battery and 16 x 550w Solar Panels (8.8kw total power charge)
Typical Solar Systems Prices Installed
5KW Solar Integrated Solar Power System with 5kWh Lithium Power Battery Backup and 2200w of Solar Panels
Total Cost: From R90.000 – R120,000+ depending on inverter, solar panels and battery brand.
This comprehensive package includes a robust solar-integrated backup power system, ideal for small to medium-sized households seeking a reliable power solution and the opportunity to reduce their monthly utility costs.
- The system comes equipped with four 550-watt solar panels, enabling the generation of your own power. It ensures consistent power availability in sunny conditions.
- Designed to strike an optimal balance between performance and affordability, this system is an excellent choice for households aiming for both a dependable backup power source and solar energy benefits.
- The system’s 5 Kilowatt-hour backup power capacity can deliver over 10 hours of continuous power at a 400-watt draw.
- 5kw Maximum Current Draw
- The solar panels are capable of producing approximately 2200 watts at peak sunlight conditions.
Included Components and Services:
- A top-tier hybrid smart inverter, 5kw, 48-volt.
- Over 5 Kilowatt hours of high-grade Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries.
- Professional wiring of the inverter to essential circuits on your distribution board, inclusive of changeover switches and breakers.
- Installation of four 550+ watt solar panels with a 20+ year warranty, complete with all necessary wiring and breakers.
- Comprehensive electrical installation services.
- A compliance certificate is included, subject to the existing electrical compliance of the premises (*See additional note).
This system is a full-service solution, offering both energy independence and peace of mind with its seamless integration and reliable backup power capabilities.
8KW Solar Integrated Solar Power System with 14kWh Lithium Power Battery Backup and 4400w of Solar Panels
Total Price: R140.000 – R190,000 depending on the inverter, solar panels and battery brand.
This enhanced system offers a significant upgrade with a more powerful inverter and an increased number of solar panels, making it an ideal choice for medium to larger households. It’s designed for those who seek extensive backup power capabilities and significant reductions in monthly electricity costs.
- The expanded capacity makes it possible to manage most household loads efficiently, ensuring abundant backup power and substantial savings on electricity bills.
- The investment in this upgraded system is well worth the substantial benefits and savings it offers.
- The system’s 14 Kilowatt-hour backup power capacity can deliver more than 35 hours of continuous power at a 400-watt draw.
- 8kw Maximum Current Draw
- Equipped with eight high-efficiency solar panels, the system can generate over 4400 watts in peak sunlight conditions.
Included Components and Installation Services:
- A superior quality hybrid smart inverter, 8kw, 48-volt.
- 10 Kilowatt hours of top-tier Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries.
- Professional wiring of the inverter to key circuits on your distribution board, complete with changeover switches and breakers.
- Installation of eight 550+ watt solar panels, backed by a 20+ year warranty, inclusive of all necessary wiring and breakers.
- Comprehensive electrical installation services.
- A compliance certificate, contingent on the existing electrical compliance of your property (*See additional note).
This system is not only a powerful energy solution but also an investment in long-term cost savings and energy efficiency for larger households.
12KW 3 Phase Solar Integrated Solar Power System with 20kWh Lithium Power Battery Backup and 8800w of Solar Panels
Total Price: R250000 – R350000 depending on the inverter, solar panels and battery brand.
This advanced solar power system features a 12 Kilowatt 3-phase inverter, a significant 20 Kilowatt-hour battery capacity, and 14 high-wattage solar panels. It’s an exceptional choice for medium households aiming for off-grid living, and larger households seeking substantial independence from the grid.
- The system’s robust design and substantial power output make it ideal for achieving nearly complete energy independence.
- The increased number of solar panels and larger battery capacity enhance the system’s efficiency and reliability.
Power and Performance:
- The system’s 20 Kilowatt-hour backup power can provide over 50 hours of continuous power at a 400-watt draw.
- 12kw Maximum Current Draw
- The 16 premium solar panels are capable of generating approximately 8,000 watts at peak sunlight.
Components and Installation Services:
- Includes a high-performance 12Kw 3-phase, 48-volt inverter.
- Equipped with 20 Kilowatt hours of top-grade Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries.
- Professional wiring of the inverter to essential circuits on your distribution board, complete with changeover switches and breakers.
- Roof installation of 16 high-quality 550+ watt solar panels, each with a 20+ year guarantee, including all necessary wiring and breakers.
- Comprehensive electrical installation services are part of the package.
- A compliance certificate is provided, subject to the existing electrical compliance of the installation site (*See additional note).
This comprehensive solar power system is tailored for households seeking a high-capacity, reliable solar solution to significantly reduce or eliminate dependence on traditional power sources.
Factors Influencing the Solar Panel Prices
When considering the installation of a solar power system, it’s important to understand the various factors that can influence the overall cost. These factors ensure that each solar installation is unique to the homeowner’s needs and property specifics. Here are some key aspects that affect the pricing:
- System Size and Capacity: The size of the solar system, typically measured in kilowatts (kW), is one of the primary determinants of cost. Larger systems with higher capacity are more expensive due to the increased number of solar panels and additional hardware required.
- Type and Quality of Solar Panels: There are different types of solar panels (like monocrystalline, polycrystalline, and thin-film), each with varying efficiency and costs. Higher-efficiency panels are usually more expensive but can be more cost-effective in the long run.
- Inverter Type: The inverter is a critical component that converts solar energy into usable electricity. The type (string inverters, microinverters, or hybrid inverters) and quality of the inverter can significantly impact the cost.
- Battery Storage: Adding a battery storage system allows for the storage of excess solar energy, which can be used when the sun isn’t shining. The inclusion of a battery system increases the initial investment but can offer greater energy independence and savings.
- Installation Complexity: The complexity of the installation process can vary based on the property. Factors like roof type, angle, and accessibility, as well as any special installation requirements, can affect the overall cost.
- Location and Climate: Geographic location influences the amount of sunlight available for solar energy production. Additionally, local climate conditions can affect the type of equipment needed and the installation process.
- Government Incentives and Rebates: The South African National Treasury has set forth guidelines for accessing the ZAR 4 billion rebate program for residential solar PV systems, initiated in February. Homeowners can receive a 25% rebate on solar panel costs, capped at ZAR 15,000. In the 2023/24 filing season, PAYE taxpayers can claim this rebate, and provisional taxpayers can apply it against their provisional and final payments. Eligibility requires a VAT invoice detailing the solar panel costs and proof of payment. Furthermore, for systems purchased between March 1, 2023, and February 29, 2024, a compliance certificate with the 2009 Electrical Installation Regulations is mandatory. The rebate covers solar panels in new or existing systems with at least 275 W output, excluding portable panels.
- Labor Costs: The cost of professional installation varies by region and the expertise of the installers. Choosing certified and experienced installers ensures system efficiency and safety, which might come at a higher cost.
- Maintenance and Additional Features: Long-term maintenance costs and additional features like monitoring systems also contribute to the overall expense of a solar power system.
- Electrical Upgrades: Sometimes, existing electrical systems may need upgrades to accommodate the new solar system, adding to the installation cost.
Save money on your new Solar Installation by talking to one of our vetted Solar Companies in your area.
How to Save Money on Your Solar Installations
Investing in a solar installation can be financially significant, but there are several strategies to make it more affordable and maximize your investment. Here are some tips to save money on your solar panel installations:
- Research Government Incentives and Rebates: The South African National Treasury has outlined guidelines to access the ZAR 4 billion rebate program for residential solar PV systems, launched in February. Homeowners can claim a rebate equal to 25% of their solar panel costs, up to ZAR 15,000. For the 2023/24 filing season, PAYE taxpayers can claim this rebate, while provisional taxpayers can offset it against their provisional and final payments. To be eligible, homeowners must provide a VAT invoice that separately details the cost of the solar PV panels and proof of payment. For systems purchased between March 1, 2023, and February 29, 2024, a compliance certificate with the 2009 Electrical Installation Regulations is required. The rebate is applicable to solar panels in both new and existing systems, with a minimum output of 275 W, but excludes portable panels.
- Choose the Right System Size: Opt for a solar system size that matches your energy needs. Over-sizing can lead to unnecessary expenses, while under-sizing may not provide the desired energy savings.
- Compare Quotes from Multiple Providers: Get quotations from several solar installers. Comparing prices and services can help you find the best deal and avoid overpaying.
- Consider Panel Type and Efficiency: While higher-efficiency panels are more expensive, they can produce more energy in less space. Assess if the long-term savings justify the initial cost.
- Look for Financing Options: Explore financing options like solar loans or leases, which can spread the cost over time, making the initial investment more manageable.
- Invest in Quality Equipment: Choosing high-quality solar panels and components can be cost-effective in the long run due to their durability and efficiency.
- DIY Some Aspects of the Installation: If you have the necessary skills, you can save on labor costs by doing some installation work yourself. However, professional assistance is crucial for electrical connections and complex installations.
- Plan for Long-Term Performance: Ensure regular maintenance to keep your solar system running efficiently. This can prevent costly repairs and maintain optimal energy production.
- Utilize Energy Efficiently: Adopt energy-efficient practices in your home or business to reduce overall energy consumption. This means a smaller solar system can meet your energy needs, lowering costs.
- Monitor Energy Usage: Use monitoring systems to track energy production and consumption. This data can help you adjust usage patterns to maximize solar benefits.
By carefully planning and researching, you can find ways to reduce the cost of your solar installation while enjoying the benefits of renewable energy. Talk to a Solar Installer Near You they can help you make the right choice.
Lower the Price of Your Solar Installation By Choosing the Right Solar System Base On Your Monthly Demand
In addition to the previous guidelines for choosing the right solar system size, here are specific system recommendations for households with monthly consumptions of 300, 500, 800, and 1000 kWh
For 300 kWh Monthly Consumption:
- Inverter Size: 5 kW (minimum recommended size).
- Solar Panel Wattage: With 550W panels, around 4 panels would now suffice, totaling approximately 2200 watts.
- Battery Size: Approximately 6-8 kWh for adequate daily usage storage and backup.
For 500 kWh Monthly Consumption:
- Inverter Size: 5 kW (or 6-7 kW for better performance).
- Solar Panel Wattage: About 7 panels, giving a total of around 3850 watts.
- Battery Size: 10-12 kWh to adequately cover daily energy needs and ensure backup power.
For 800 kWh Monthly Consumption:
- Inverter Size: 8 kW for optimal handling of energy production.
- Solar Panel Wattage: Roughly 11 panels would be needed, resulting in a total of around 6050 watts.
- Battery Size: Around 16-20 kWh is recommended for sufficient storage and backup.
For 1000 kWh Monthly Consumption:
- Inverter Size: A 10 kW inverter would be most suitable.
- Solar Panel Wattage: Around 13-14 panels, amounting to approximately 7150 – 7700 watts.
- Battery Size: Consider a 20-24 kWh battery to meet daily energy requirements and provide backup.
- These revised panel numbers are based on South Africa’s higher-than-average solar irradiance but are still approximate. The actual number may vary depending on specific site conditions and energy usage patterns.
- Regular evaluation and maintenance of the solar system can further optimize its performance in such a sunny environment.
- It’s advisable to consult with local solar energy experts for precise sizing and installation tailored to your particular needs and location.
Get Your Solar Panel Prices from Local Pros Partners
We’ve carefully selected top-notch solar installers for our professional network, ensuring they meet high standards of expertise and customer service. By completing our online form, you can receive a personalized solar panel quotation tailored to your specific needs.
Why Choose Local Pros Partners?
- Vetted Experts: Our partners are rigorously evaluated for their skills and reliability.
- Customized Quotations: Receive quotes that are specifically tailored to your home’s energy requirements.
- Competitive Pricing: Access fair, transparent pricing for quality solar installations.
- Simple Process: Fill out our online form for a hassle-free experience in obtaining your solar quote.
- Support and Guidance: Our partners will guide you through every step, ensuring a smooth installation process.
Take a step towards sustainable energy today by requesting your personalized quote from a trusted Local Pros partner.